Monday, February 25, 2008

See Evolgen for a field guide to seminar audiences

EVOLGEN has a great post on the people at your department seminar. It is worth checking out and bringing with you next time you go to a seminar. Even better than looking around --- choose which one fits you the best. Up until a few years ago, I was definitely the pre-schooler
The pre-schooler: This dude uses the departmental seminar as his nap-time. He sits in the back, and when the lights go out, he's nodding off faster than River Phoenix in My Own Private Idaho. Someone get this guy a good-night's sleep.
I simply could not stay awake in any seminar so I would have to sit at the back. Now that I have kids, I am used to sleep deprivation and only rarely nod off in a seminar. I am no longer sure which one I am ...

1 comment:

  1. Very funny post. I'm a nodder: my teenage daughter once told me that I look like one of those drinking birds because I nod so much. (We were listening to college reps talk about the admission process.) I do disagree with the author's reasoning about why I nod:

    "The nodder: This guy affirms every part of the talk with a nod. The background information -- he gets it. The data -- he gets it. The conclusions drawn from arm waving and rampant speculation -- he gets it. In reality, he's just trying to show off how smart he thinks he is. With every nod, he's saying, "Look at how smart I am. I understand all this stuff. Do you? I bet you don't." At the end of the talk, I'd like to make sure he gets it. And by "it" I mean my fist. And by "get" I mean square between the eyes."

    My nodding is more of a mommy thing, I nod to encourage the speaker that some one is listening to them and is getting what they say (a type of visual feedback). I don’t nod if I’m totally lost or if I think the seminar is crap. Now that I know I'm irritating my colleagues, as well as my daughter, I’ll try to cut back on the nods.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...